So earlier today Rare released a video with never before seen footage of Twelve Tales and we learned a lot of new things. Below is a breakdown of the major story and gameplay mechanics we learned about from the video!
- Conker’s Quest was the original title. It debuted at E3 along side Banjo-Kazooie.
- By the time Banjo-Kazooie was released Conker’s Quest already received its first name change.
Twelve Tales Conker 64
- In Twelve Tales the player would have gotten to explore a prehistoric jungle, gladiatorial arena and a cowboy frontier just for starters!
- Conker would have worn a different hat for each world.
- The game was designed to build on the idea of an interactive cartoon. A lot of work went into making the characters have very expressive faces so the player could see them react to the situations they were in.
- Conker had different utilities he could use. Of course he had his slingshot but he also had a lasso, a kite, a rocket and a unicycle.
- Conker and Berri would be fighting against evil acorns.
- Conker could also cover distance quickly by running on all fours.
- Even though the game was still in early development multiplayer was already built into the game.
- Co-op was going to be in Twelve Tales. The second player would play as Conker’s little owl companion.
- And if you had more than just two people playing you could jump into 4 player splitscreen deathmatch but without death.
- The game went into hibernation when the team was trying to take on a new angle to make Conker stand out from the other 3D platforms of the time.
- Some elements that did make their way over from Twelve Tales to Conker’s Bad Fur Day were the Scarecrow, the speech bubbles, windmill and the gladiatorial arena.
So there you have it. You might need to take a minute to comprehend all the new information. Let us know what you think of Twelve Tales and its transformation into Conker’s Bad Fur Day in the comments below!